I just received this note about RightsCon Toronto, taking place May 16-18, 2018. I was blown away by the numbers - this is going to be a pretty amazing event featuring a large number of human rights organizations from every corner of the globe. Are you planning to go?
Our biggest number of session proposals ever (and the many other ways to join us at RightsCon)
20 DECEMBER 2017 | 3:11 PM
Each year, our annual Call for Proposals plays a critical role in shaping both the RightsCon program and the global agenda for human rights in the digital age. The session proposals we receive are a direct reflection of the extensive work being done on crucial issues by members of our community around the world.
For RightsCon Toronto, you showed us that our collective work is more important than ever, with over 750 proposals. This is double the number of proposals from last year. The RightsCon Community is growing too: we received proposals from 88 countries and more than 425 organizations, with new session organizers representing a majority of submissions. Take a look at the proposal breakdown below to get a sense of who’s contributing to our most timely, vital, and compelling program to date.
Over the next several weeks, we’re working alongside our Program Committee — comprised of human rights defenders, tech sector representatives, and internet policy experts — to review each and every proposal. Together, with your submissions, we’re building the most important RightsCon program yet.
It will be an experience you don’t want to miss out on. Luckily, with many opportunities to get involved, there’s a way for everyone to join our RightsCon community.
- Get your ticket. First and foremost, attending RightsCon allows you to learn from leading experts, connect with our global community, and build partnerships to further your work. As a participant at RightsCon, you won’t be just a passive attendee. Our interactive and outcome-oriented sessions allow you to play an important role in shaping the global agenda on human rights in the digital age. Act soon and you can still take advantage of our Early Bird pricing!
- Host a booth. If you or your organization has a new tech tool to demo, research to present, or an advocacy project to showcase, hosting a boothin the RightsCon Community Village is the perfect opportunity. This dynamic, mix-use space — easily one of the busiest spots at RightsCon — is where participants can host meetings, network with the community, and even relax in a beanbag chair or hammock. We make reserving exhibition space easy, too. Just fill out our form and we’ll help you out by providing all the necessary information around logistics. Be sure to act quickly, booth space is available on a first come, first served basis!
- Apply to speak. Interested in speaking about your work or research at RightsCon? Every year, as we build out the RightsCon program from our Call for Proposals, we add speakers to ensure each session is robust, diverse, and compelling. This is a great opportunity for those who didn’t submit or are not currently named in session proposals. All you have to do is tell us about yourself, your work, and why you want to speak at RightsCon by filling out this form and we’ll be in touch as opportunities arise.
- Join our Young Leaders Summit as a participant or mentor. Held on Day Zero (May 15, 2018), the Young Leaders Summit is a one-day workshop on policy, advocacy, and movement-building led by leaders of our global community. As a participant, you’ll engage with the emerging issues impacting human rights in the digital age. Afterwards, you have the opportunity to attend RightsCon, where you can deliver lightning talks and attend program sessions related to your work and interests. This is the best opportunity for students and young professionals (aged 18-30) to network with our community and explore career options. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis. Interested in being a mentor? Send us an email at email@example.com.
- Sponsor RightsCon. Investing in RightsCon is a mutually beneficial opportunity to support our global community’s growth and build your organization or business’s brand. Being a sponsor offers a unique opportunity to engage deeply and effectively with hundreds of the world’s leading experts and influencers. We also work with potential sponsors to craft a partnership that works best for you, whether through our pre-made packages or by selecting from a la carte or in-kind sponsorship opportunities.
Questions? Get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you find the right opportunity.