Room for joint intervention

The past week has been an eye opener to me thanks to Namati CEO @vivekmaru and @lauragoodwin. On the 6-7th December 2015, I had the pleasure of visiting one of the community land projects in Tana River in Kenya. It might not been the first time for me to visit the area but my first to such a community facing gross difficulty in terms of their social and economic rights but still with determination that they shall win the battle.

The community had to create temporary shelters after being affected by the floods in the area but unfortunately they couldn’t be granted temporary grazing land by their oppressors who in the real sense should be their protectors.

Uploading…

The government owned project TARDA as the locals well spell it was meant to boost agriculture for the benefit of the community but now even collecting left overs from the farm or taking your livestock to graze on the unoccupied land can land you some serious lashing from the police and military who are also suppose to protect you. Or are they protecting you from yourself? :wink: The sad reality is that the project doesn’t benefit the community even by providing them with relief food during their most pressing moment after the floods. This reminds me of the sweet words in our national anthem : “Plenty be found within our borders.” Sadly not being lived by these smiling faces that never lose hope

This trip really opened my eyes to realize the great work that we can do together even though many of us operate in different thematic areas. For example bwana @Lore have you ever herd of the Malakote? I hear they are closely related to the Makonde. Do you mind doing some visits to this community they are also a stateless community in the Tana Delta. I strongly believe that instead of tackling the challenges of such communities on one problem by problem basis, we can team up and do a collective work where the citizenship paralegals could link up and assist such communities even though they operate around CLP work and during thee CLP meetings a citizenship paralegal can be invited to talk about the importance of documentation. Fro the visit it was clear to me that we can supplement each others work in order to better serve the different communities we work with.

So how do we realize this? Is this feasible? Do you think it is worth trying? @tobiaseigen @kanchikohli @krithikadinesh @Lore @lauragoodwin @Cnior @marenabrinkhurst @rachaelknight @Purity_Wadegu @Platong

5 Likes

Thank you for this beautiful and engaging post, @mustafa_mahmoud! I remember visiting one of the TARDA affected communities last time I was in Tana River and I agree that their struggle is daunting.

Are you thinking that it would be useful to have citizenship paralegals attend CLP meetings to talk about documentation in a citizenship sense, or legal documentation more generally? Or are you proposing joint work with a stateless community in Tana River that also needs support on land rights?

At CLP, we have certainly been thinking about possibilities to work more closely with the Environmental Justice program because there is often overlap there, but we are still discussing how best to do collaborative/cross-program work like that. But Kenya might be the perfect place to try, seeing as CLP, Citizenship, and Environmental Justice will all be working there in 2016. Do others have thoughts?