Rule of Law Index Launched today - how best to use/ add to this information

I just attended the launch of the Rule of Law Index which has been collated by the World Justice Programme. The 2015 release of the Index relies on surveys gathered from more than 100,000 citizens and experts worldwide to offer scores and rankings covering fundamental rights, justice, government accountability, security, and other rule of law issues. The latest edition features In-depth country data on a standalone site for quickly accessing, comparing, and downloading data (http://data.worldjusticeproject.org/). Country profiles feature changes in rule of law adherence over time and new global insights into impunity, open government, policing perceptions, and more.

Some of the partners Namati’s advocacy team have been working with are engaged with the WJP. At the Namati sponsored National Justice Meeting in the Philippines one of the speakers, Mahar Mangahas from SWS (a private polling company) conducted surveys for this index and shared learnings on measuring justice. In Kenya, as a follow up to the National Justice Meeting there our parter Kituo cha Sheria has recommended to the Kenyan Government that the WJP Index is used to officially track national justice indicators alongside official government statistics.

It got me thinking and I would be interested to hear from staff or partners on the following:

• Do you currently feed into the WJP?

Currently in the index informal justice, is measured but not included in aggregated scores and rankings given the complexities of these systems and the difficulties of measuring their fairness and effectiveness in a manner that is both systematic and comparable across countries. Currently they track:

9.1 Informal justice is timely and effective 9.2 Informal justice is impartial and free of improper influence 9.3 Informal justice respects and protects fundamental rights

I would love to hear any thoughts people have on:

• How, as M&E on legal empowerment moves forward would it be able to address the challenge of comparability?
  • Do, or perhaps should, M&E models prioritise global comparisons or should this remain at a national level?
  • Are the current indicators that the WJP using useful, or does anyone believe there are better or additional ones to measure informal justice?
  • How can the information from the WJP Index best be utilised at the national level (e.g. for advocacy, programming, strategic insights etc.)?
  • Would the Legal Empowerment Network be interested to work on data collection for the Index in different national contexts, or use the Indicators they supply? Right now only 12 countries report into the index on informal justice, while the index covers 108.

I’d also love to hear from those who are already speaking with WJP for some more background on partnerships.

4 Likes

This is fascinating - thanks for sharing, @staceycram. Do you know of any examples of organizations or reports that use this data? I’m trying to think how we could use it, or feed into it, from a community land perspective, but examples of how other organizations use or support it would be helpful.

Just hearing about the WJP, Sounds really interesting.would love to know much more and just like @staceycram asked, how would organizations like ours feed into the WJP?