SDG16+ In Peril: A call-to-action for safeguarding commitments to Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies

On behalf of Namati, the TAP Network, the Civil Society Platform for Peacebuilding and Statebuilding (CSPPS), CIVICUS and the Global Partnership for the Prevention of Armed Conflict (GPPAC), we are pleased to invite you to a virtual consultation workshop “SDG16+ In Peril: A call-to-action for safeguarding commitments to Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies", which will be hosted on Wednesday 6 April 2022 from 9:00 – 10:30 AM EST / 14:00 – 15:30 GMT.

This online consultation workshop will explore various emerging issues around SDG16+, to identify areas where amplified actions are needed to safeguard commitments for implementation and accountability of SDG16+ in 2022 from governments, the international community and civil society alike. It will also serve as a key moment of consultation for inputs and priorities for updating the Rome Civil Society Declaration on SDG16+ to counter pressing challenges in 2022 and beyond, particularly in light of current events such as the disastrous conflict in Ukraine and its impact on the lives of millions, and the profound geopolitical shifts it has created on international law and multilateralism overall.

We kindly ask all interested participants to pre-register for this Workshop by filling out the registration form here.

In addition to this workshop, CSOs can share inputs for this update to the Rome Declaration via consultation surveys available in English, French, Spanish and Arabic. Particularly at this key inflection point for SDG16+, we very much look forward to receiving your inputs to include in this timely update to the Rome Declaration by no later than Friday, 8 April 2022. You can find out more about the Rome Declaration, the consultation and the consultation workshop online here.

We sincerely hope that you’ll be able to join us for this virtual consultation workshop, and please don’t hesitate to reach out to us with any questions at all in advance of this event.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. Just a reminder that this event is taking place tomorrow! Please sign up to join the discussion, and do share your inputs on key priorities you’d like to see in an updated Rome Declaration.

Register for the event here.

Hello all,

Drawing from all the inputs from the session above, the Rome Civil Society Declaration, titled SDG16+ in Peril: An urgent call-to-action for safeguarding commitments to Peaceful, Just and Inclusive Societies was officially launched today at the SDG16 Conference.

Click here to read the 2022 Rome Declaration and to endorse it. Thanks so much to all those who participated and contributed their inputs!

3 Likes

Hi, a job well done and I support wholeheartedly this drive. Does it have to be endorsed only by an organization or can an individual also endorse it ?

1 Like

Many thanks @akhila_kolisetty!

My question exactly - can an individual endorse it too?

2 Likes

I’ve gone through the resolutions and find them very interesting and most importantly, we need to take action on the key points for the freedom of speech and the work of Community based Human rights advocates for the respect of human rights and freedom of association and peaceful gathering. I know we can succeed if we’re able to implement these resolutions

1 Like

Thank you so much @Rachele and @MichaelEhiem! It is currently open to organizations for endorsement, and we hope your organizations will be able to endorse.

Thank you Timothy, and I completely agree. We hope the declaration can send a strong message at this year’s upcoming High Level Political Forum on these issues, including financing and protection for community-based human rights advocates. Freedom of association is absolutely vital, especially as we are seeing closing civic space in so many contexts. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks Akhila, am truly humbled by your words of encouragement and have a lovely evening