Stories of legal empowerment at the Oslo Freedom Forum

Namaste good people. In this video I tell the story of 70 families in Sierra Leone who won their land back after a chief sold it to a Chinese rubber company without asking them.

And the story of a single mom in India, @manishagoswami , who started out as an environmental vigilante, slashing the tires of trucks dumping illegally in her hometown river, and then found her groove by learning and using the law.

I’m trying to describe the path to justice to which our community is dedicated. It has relevance, I believe, from Minnesota to Myanmar. If you have the chance to take a I look I would love to hear your thoughts.

Massive shout out to @hassansesay , @FatmataKanu , @manishagoswami , @bharatpatel , @sonkitaconteh and all the grassroots legal advocates out there. It is a privilege to share your courageous work.

Much love

vivek

cc: @namati_staff

This is a companion discussion topic for the blog post at http://namati.org/news/video_oslo/
13 Likes

Fantastic! What powerful storytelling. This video is such a valuable tool for us - I encourage people to share with stakeholders, partners, allies, etc. I will be sharing with many of our donors and potential donors.

3 Likes

Very impressive it is a very good example of Justice for every one and Rule Of Law.We are also implementing Strengthening Rule of Law Project in Malakand Pakistan.

2 Likes

Lot of the things are happening the same in many communities.Nearly from communities to small groups and poor suffer.We have to stand and fight.You did work for learning.It is a great work.Keep it up.We are learning. This represent our common cause.Thank you

1 Like

This is a great inspiration for us. We can build together a just society in this world. Thank you for sharing this video.

1 Like

Dear Sir, I just watched it. It’s great work. Thank you very much for sharing.

Best

1 Like

I mean not merely land indigenous people occupy by custom, or through the constitution recognising their occupancy, but having the same legal status as state land. In Zambia, for instance, all land is vested in the President, and although he/she has a Land Commission to manage state and customary area, he has the power to alienate customary area to leasehold. Customary people having clan and tribal relationships should enjoy collective ownership, having the same power in the law as leasehold land - though in this case it would be for all time, not 99-year renewable. Failure to tie this up will ensure the continued plunder and diminution of the biota in which the carbon is locked.

1 Like

Excellent presentation about legal empowerment and paralegal’s effort .

1 Like

Legal empowerment is all types of advocacies which are done so as to bring equal justice to all people, regardless of their status in the community. “To make every person to be equal before the law.”

This story real motivates us as we see the outcomes reflects the humanities.

2 Likes

I continued to be inspired by your work, local partners, and vision.

1 Like

you are doing good job

1 Like

Phenomenal video and powerful message, Vivek! I laud you and my friends at Namati for your never-ending quest to train and educate people around the globe so that they can be effective advocates for justice.

1 Like

The video summarizes it all what legal empowerment is all about and the importance of paralegals( barefoot lawyers). Excellent presentation there. My concern is; it would be more practical during the presentation to have a bit of the narration by the paralegals on there experiences. i.e. in cooperate the narration in the documentation to empower the audience.