Support for mobile registration drives in Rwanda

@mustafa_mahmoud, I was recently speaking with @Juves who was on the first exchange in South Africa and works with paralegals in Rwanda. He has recently conducted mobile registration drives, both for marriage registrations and birth certificates, and has had great success with over 300 marriage registrations and over 3,400 birth certificates in a short time. His organization, Lawyers of Hope, partnered closely with local leaders and are now keen to expand these activities in other districts of Rwanda.

While the people @juves is working with are not stateless, your own impressive story about mobile birth registration prompted me to ask you for advice on his behalf. He wanted to know of where to look for support to do this work more regularly, both financial and technical support. I wanted to connect you both here in case you had other insights that he may find helpful too. @juves, do you have any other specific questions? @mustafa and @lauragoodwin are very familiar with this area of work.

1 Like

@michaelotto @Juves @lauragoodwin I would love to learn more about how the registration was conducted. Well, I think there are several organisations that are interested in Civil and vital statistics especially birth registration, one of them is Unicef. Goal international is also a major stakeholder in registration here in Kenya. During my interaction with one of the World Vision personnel, he also indicated that they can fund such activities especially if framed along the rights of a child. Is it possible to share how he ran the first registration? What were the costs? Did he pay the registrars? That can help me to guide him better.

2 Likes

Thank you @mustafa_mahmoud for your reply! :slightly_smiling: I will let @Juves respond, although he is in and out of Kigali working so his response may be delayed slightly.

Hi Mustafa. Good to hear from you, Apologies for the delay in replying, I was on field, for the budget for first time campaign was close to $ 6000.the registrar were given some money for food and transport and the paralegals were given only the transport to mobilize the community.

Thanks. Juves

2 Likes

Hi @Juves thats awesome and the budget is below the 10,000 $ that many donors give for pilots. First who funded the first mobile registration? Could you share some photos?

2 Likes

@juves - it’s great to hear about the mobile registration campaigns you are doing in Rwanda! I’d love to learn more about your work… are there particular communities that you are targeting? Are the events run in urban areas or rural areas? What role did the paralegals play during the event? What are the biggest challenges those communities normally have in registering births and marriages (when there is no mobile registration campaign)?

With the adoption of the SDGs, including a target on legal identity under Goal 16 (16.9: By 2030, provide legal identity for all, including birth registration) there may soon be more funding and support available for this kind of work around the world, though it’s not yet clear what that will really look like. It may be that, in time, governments are able to access funding to support the extension of legal identity on a larger scale and civil society-government partnerships will ensure the events are as effective as possible on the ground.

National governments are often underfunded for these type of activities themselves, but if you haven’t already talked to some of the national ministries/agencies with mandates around registration, that may be one option for finding additional financial or technical resources! Lessons that you are learning during these events may also help make regular government registration services more accessible to communities throughout the country!

Looking forward to hearing more!

2 Likes

Hi Mustafa So sorry for delayed reply, I was very busy, the first campaign was funded by World Vision Rwanda in its operation area. I have lot of pictures took during the campaign, some were taken during Marching, Launching and others during the education session before birth registration. Thanks Juves

1 Like