Technology will scale paralegals' work in Nigeria

I should start by saying how impressed I am with the global legal empowerment network. Also, great to see that Nigerians are a part of it.

Nigeria’s population of 180m plus presents an opportunity for paralegals to scale their impact. The problem though starts with perception - Nigerians are accustomed to ‘wig and gown’ Lawyers, even when they trust paralegals or civil society in the legal space.

It’s great to see that paralegals are accessible to Nigerian communities. However, it’s time for paralegals to use tools communities are already familiar with. Start with say Facebook. Nigerians of all shades use Facebook regularly. This presents a good platform to educate, enlighten and engage with paralegals.

Another is short messaging services. It’s lot easier for paralegals to reach (and be reached) through text messaging.

I can go on but the point is that ‘Uberizing’ access to justice is faster and a lot cheaper. The legal aid system in Nigeria is stretched and many communities lack quality representation and advice in court or tribunals.

Few qualified Lawyers are providing pro bono assistance making the work of justice delivery immensely difficult.

I hope that this very short piece sparks an exchange of ideas to scale paralegals’ work in and outside Nigeria.

5 Likes

Thanks @ajioye for the above post, very interesting points you mention. I particularly enjoyed your thoughts on the “Uberizing” of access to justice - the overall justice sector has been slow on technological uptake generally, but I do think technological advances are coming to the sector either way.

I would be interested in what other Nigerians in the sector thought (@OlayemiAkinwunmi, @andrewmaki, @Abi, @OreOhimor, @princeisraelorekha), but I do know that @fatimaadamu at IWEI in Kano State has been really pushing new technologies within their legal empowerment work recently.

I do know that the emerging Myanmar paralegal network in Myanmar uses Facebook in various ways to engage with the public due to the fact that much of the public is using Facebook (maybe @KhinHtetWai or @nwenisoe could speak to that?) - an modern example of going to where the people are, like going to the market to set up brick and mortar community justice services, which is still relevant in most places.

Also, mobile phones are often discussed in terms of apps for paralegal case management, but the use of SMS texting for supply side is an interesting one - anyone have experience with that?

2 Likes

It’s good to catch up on my very first contribution here.

1 Like

Indeed! Thanks for the reminder. You make some good points in your post from 2017. Amazing that nobody jumped on the opportunity to debate you. :wink: Technology is great but is it a panacea? What are the risks to consider to counter the benefits? What is the role of ngos, of government and of private sector?

Can you give some examples of how social media and SMS has been used in Nigeria by folks seeking to know, use and shape the law?

I am looking at how poor and most vulnerable in rural unconnected areas can benefit from technology and paralegal services?

Affordability is there too. Yes technology can scale relevance but must go hand in hand with traditional means of reaching indigent communities who need the services most.

Very interesting ! A great network member in Kenya Kituo cha Sheria – Legal Advice Centre uses an SMS platform called M-HAKI. Through this platform, members of the public text their legal questions to a given number and receive responses on the go!

Perhaps there could be a discussion on how technology is being used to advance legal empowerment? The region has a lot to offer.

2 Likes

Thanks, Aimee! I edited your post to link to the organization profile for Kituo in the directory, and to provide a link to M-HAKI.

Interesting thought to widen the discussion beyond Nigeria, if @ajioye is amenable. We already have some great topics in the #tech category and of course Ask me anything about The Engine Room’s Light Touch Support! (16 August, 2019).

This example of M-HAKI is a good one to talk about here, because it leverages SMS as @ajioye references when he started this topic. What’s the latest with that initiative? The website looks great but it also seems to be devoid of content now. A bug, perhaps, or is it possible the project has ended? If so, it would be interesting to hear more about how the project went and any learnings.

@Kirima @Faith any insights you can share?

1 Like

Hi,

Just read through the topic on Light Touch Support by the Engine Room. Amazing questions and very good responses too. @AimeeOngeso thank you for pointing me to M-HAKI.

2 Likes

Hi @DennisEkwere great question. There are use cases of low cost tech in resource constrained environments. Please feel free to look at our online summary on technology in legal empowerment Technology for Legal Empowerment . Feel free to send me a message if you have any interest in talking further.

1 Like

Hi @ajioye great to hear you found our Ask Me Anything interesting. Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or interest in talking about our support offer…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Is Gavel the new disruptive civic tech organization in Nigeria’s justice sector?

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step