The role of land records in securing property rights

(Diya Uday) #1

Hello! I recently did field work in a study on land records in India. One of my key takeaways was the the role played by land records in conferring and enforcing property rights. Apart from the fact that in many cases the land records do not mirror ground reality, it was also apparent that a significant number of farmers I interacted with, did not know the contents of the records to their land or the implications of the information in the land records. I’d love to hear from others who may have done similar studies or who are interested in the topic. Thanks!

(Heloisa Pires de Oliveira) #2

Hi, @diyauday! I’m very interested in this topic and the property rights. I would like to know if you are continuing your research and if you are doing any legal work in this community. The task of deploying legal knowledge in rural areas, especially to farmers, is quite arduous but essential to improve they quality of life and of their families. Thank you to share this theme and your point of view!

(Diya Uday) #3

Hi @heloisa! Its always good to find others interested in this area. I agree completely that legal empowerment in rural areas is very important. My personal approach is twofold.

The first is to ensure that there are sound legal frameworks in place that benefit all. This would include a study I had recently conducted in the area of land records. You can find a summary of the findings here (Digital India Land Records Modernisation Programme: Assessing impact in Himachal Pradesh and Maharashtra). The second is of course direct legal empowerment to the people which will include things such as legal aid camps, community training (so we help them help themselves). In India, there are region specific laws with respect to land and its always best to help shape leaders from within the community. Both approaches have their own obstacles.

I would love to hear about what experience has been.

(San Lwin Oo Oo) #4

I would like to invite you to approach Myanmar’s Land Records system from Colonial Era to now. Best Regards, San Lwin Oo.

(Diya Uday) #5

Hello San_Lwin_Oo. Thank you for your response. Is there an ongoing study on Myanmar?

(Nkechi Ugwuanyi) #6

Hello@Diya I am interested in this topic. Although I have not conducted any research on this area, almost 60 percent of the cases we receive borders on land rights and disputes and most of them have no documents to validate their claims.

(Diya Uday) #7

Hello @Laurenkech. I agree completely. In India too a large number of land rights disputes stem from improper recording of boundaries. In our study we found a lot of variation in what was recorded in the records vs. ground reality. In many cases the percentage of deviation was very high. In my experience, these happens because of lethargy in updating records. Further, in some cases, the people themselves has removed the boundary marks and over the years it became unclear as to who owned what. Do you have any interesting anecdotes from your experience that you would like to share?

(Nkechi Ugwuanyi) #8

Hello@diyauday, The issue of land rights in the communities under my jurisdiction revolves around dis-inheritance, abuse of power as well as discrimination on the grounds of culture and gender. Most of such inhumane acts are against the poor and women. Although there are laws established for protection from such violations and inhumane acts, most times the judiciary and law enforcement agencies makes the process quite rigorous. Nevertheless we are able to record successful stories.Let me stop here.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step