The significance of the Artificial Intelligence

There is very interesting article in Cointelegraph about how AI changes the legal landscape in China. AI can help a lot in the legal empowerment and in securing access to justice around the world.

1 Like

Hi Alexandar and compliments of the season! Do you have a link to the article? Does look interesting.

2 Likes

Yes I will copy it, thanks. This is a great idea to have internet courts in China.

1 Like
1 Like

Happy New Year. I find AI an interesting topic. It was very topical at the Internet Governance Forum held in Berlin in November. Most critically, the question was on the interface between human rights and AI. While AI is prgressive and indeed leads to efficiency, how can it relate to unprogrammed human needs. While having internet courts in china may be great, in light of fair trial guidelines and the admissibility of evidence, there may be a possibility of an armchair approach that does not consider anything not programmed but very essential for exonerating someone from a` conviction. there must then be safeguards to balance AI with human rights perhaps.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, Alexander! This is an important discussion topic and a reality we must address.

I totally agree with your points, Thobekil, and I’m glad to hear that practitioners are having open conversations about this issue.

Reading further, it sounds like China uses blockchain and automated decision making systems to improve the efficiency of judicial paperwork and proceedings. This effort could increase access to justice (which is not the same as legal empowerment to me) by speeding up previously analog processes, but it will also prevent Chinese folk without internet access from its benefits and likely exacerbate existing inequalities. It will be interesting to keep an eye on this effort since hundreds of millions of Chinese don’t have access to the internet, and its unclear how secure these internet courts are.

My concern here is that applying automated decision making without implementing accountability measures can cause serious harm. AI Now in the US has reviewed the consequences of these harms in government use cases: https://ainowinstitute.org/nycadschart.pdf

In the US criminal justice context, “risk assessment tools” have been shown to maintain inequities and often rely on shoddy data. Folk interested can read more here: EPIC - Algorithms in the Criminal Justice System: Pre-Trial Risk Assessment Tools

Stanford Law also just released this paper reviewing the concerns and responses to AI in the legal system: https://law.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Re-Solow-Niederman_20190808.pdf

Hello everyone, In my understanding AI will help significantly with improving the access to justice in many ways. In Canada there is a problem with the high lawyer’s fees. Many tech companies are using various approaches to make the access to legal information easier. The regulatory bodies also are aware that in future significant changes will be made because of the resources of the AI and the need for more efficient communication between the lawyers and the clients. The future is bright and I am sure the legal empowerment project can benefit from AI which can improve the accessibility to legal services in the rural and remote areas around the world. Cheers, Alex

This is really impressive. Hopefully the robot justice will be much more objective than some Bulgarian judges. :grin:

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step