The world laws in English - try Global-Regulation.com

Hello, I am the co-founder of Global-Regulation.com, a search engine of the world laws from 90 countries in English. Our vision is to make the law accessible to everyone in their own language.

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing, @ngoltz. Would you be ok if we posted the link to your site within our resource library for other members to view and use?

1 Like

Sure

1 Like

Hello, @ngoltz! Thanks for posting and welcome to our community. :seedling: Can you tell us some more here about the motivation behind the creation of this site? Why did you create it and what are your future plans? Is there anything the practitioners in this community might do to help?

It took me a minute to realize the implications of the fact that you translated the laws from 90 countries into English - that’s certainly a big deal and a huge undertaking! The 30 second primer helps:

2 Likes

Hi @tobiaseigen, thanks for asking and very happy to answer.

Global-Regulation enables a comparative search of over 1.6 million laws from 90 countries, many of which translated by Microsoft machine translation to English. We are also offering analytics - PenaltyAI and Complexity, based on this big data.

An integrated search engine of technical standards including a cross reference option with the legislation is also available as well as additional relevant tools like case studies in regulation, impact statements and definitions.

This research & Teaching tool is used by leading academic institutions around the world like Harvard and Oxford, as well as government organisations like the US department of Justice.

From my personal experience teaching in a law school I can testify that this is a great tool to engage the students in a comparative law research and expose them to legislation from around the world on a specific topic.

Our motivation behind the creation of this site was to make the world laws accessible to everyone everywhere in their own language, Our future plans are to offer it in other languages like Mandarin. We would appreciate any feedback from practitioners.

Anyone can do 10 free searches and an individual subscription can be done automatically online and is only $30 per year. The community can help spread the word, provide feedback and support us through subscribing (as you can see the cost is marginal).

We would be especially grateful if practitioners in the community can point us to official government sources of legislation from countries we don’t yet have in our database - especially in Africa.

2 Likes

This is amazing!

2 Likes

For Palestine, official sources would be the Palestinian Legislative Counsel: http://pal-plc.org/english.aspx, the Palestinian Cabinet: http://www.palestinecabinet.gov.ps/Website/ar/NDecrees/, Advisory and Legislation Bureau: http://www.lab.pna.ps/ar_new/index.php?p=home, Not official but an academic research engine: http://muqtafi.birzeit.edu/en/

1 Like

Thanks @JehadArafat Hopefully the format is not too challenging.

1 Like

Hey @ngoltz, nice work! :slight_smile:

I have a background in both law and technology, so as you can imagine I have a few questions.

Could you say a bit more you see the marginal utility of this tool (i.e. the “value add”)?

In most situations lawyers will want an authoritative version of a piece of legislation, rather than a machine translated one that has the risk of being out of date. Specific words matter quite a lot. For example, there’s a big difference between

discretion must be exercised reasonably

and

discretion must be exercised fairly

Which is why legal translations are typically handled by bi-lingual lawyers who have a grounding in the legal concepts involved in addition to understanding both languages.

I would add that state of the art ML translation models are yet to break average human translation accuracy on standard corpuses. For specialized corpuses (with specialized language) like legislation, typically you need to train a specially configured model on a pre-prepared dataset; i.e. you would need to get human legal translators to translate a representative sample of the laws being translated (in your case all laws in all countries?) and then get your model to learn from those examples. Machine translation APIs like Microsoft’s or Google’s are trained on standard corpuses.

You mentioned the use case of comparative law in an educational or research setting. Could you give an example of such a situation where the textual impreciseness and the lack of legal context of a machine translated text would not matter?

1 Like

Hi Angus, Thanks for your note. There is no doubt that the machine translation is not perfect. We like to think about it as the grey between the white (human translation) and black (no translation at all). According to our research and feedback from users, while it is not perfect, the machine translation certainly help by enabling access to the world laws for the first time. Our main market is not necessarily lawyers but the public, academics, governments and corporations. Do you code? happy to talk more - email me ngoltz@global-regulation.com Best, Sean

We will be happy to provide you support on how to get some Nigerian laws.

1 Like

Thank you Nelson. Nigeria is one of the countries that upload its laws online hence we already have it in our database. However, if you think what we have is incomplete and/or you have laws from other African countries, please let me know.

2 Likes