To improve election systems in the US, nominee for Governor calls for legal empowerment

(Vivek Trivedi) #1

A recent governor’s race in the US state of Georgia was reportedly marred by voter suppression tactics and election mismanagement. In response, one candidate, Stacey Abrams, noted that people must be able to understand and use the law (and their rights) to ensure elections are free, fair, and reflect the highest ideals of a democracy.

Ms. Abram’s interview can be read and heard at this link:

Here are some excerpts from the interview:

In an interview with Morning Edition host Steve Inskeep, the Democratic gubernatorial nominee said that when she went to vote last month, a poll worker initially told her she had requested an absentee ballot and couldn’t cast an in-person vote. Abrams replied that she never filed for an absentee ballot, and after a conversation with the site’s manager, the matter was quickly resolved.

“I did it quietly. I didn’t turn it into a major conversation because, for me, it was about getting through the process,” Abrams said. Followed by cameras to the polls, she said kept the snafu under wraps, because “I was not trying to embarrass anyone, but I did want it fixed.”

“But it was also emblematic to me of the privilege that I have,” Abrams, who holds a degree from Yale Law School, went on. “I know the law. There are thousands, millions in Georgia do not know what their rights are and therefore do not know that they shouldn’t have to wait in four-hour lines in the rain with their children. They shouldn’t have to worry about whether they will lose their jobs in order to exercise their democratic right to vote for their leaders.”

Does the network have examples to share of ways legal empowerment has been used to strengthen voting rights?

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step