Uganda's eacop; ups and downs?

Recently the media is awash with news of the oil exploration in Uganda, mainly featuring the European Parliament’s resolution against the East African Crude Oil Pipeline (EACOP) Project. Although it is commonly referred to as a project, EACOP is also a registered company in the UK as EACOP Ltd. But what should be the stand of Ugandans? Aren’t there questions we need to ask ourselves? Is there need to stop the progress of the EACOP? Who are the actual beneficiaries of the oil exploration? Who are the actual owners of EACOP, Ugandans or a clique who own 15% shares? Why weren’t the agreements shared with the public? What lies ahead for the future of Uganda’s oil? Are there human rights and environmental problems that are arising, and if so what should be the way forward.

As people on this platform, these are the questions that we should start inquiring into. In fact, we should have a detailed discussion and draw resolutions to guide fellow activists.

1 Like

I think Uganda should learn from the Nigerian experience where the federal government owns the rights of all oil explorations and the host communities are left in abject poverty. With no rights to their oils and even MOU,s are not respected and honored by these oil servicing companies, who are multinational corporations. There’s no Accountability In the system so oil bunkery and oil theft is the order of the day and the environment is left to suffer pollution and environmental hazards and our people and Host Community’s are the worst for it

1 Like

This topic greatly catches my attention, as the EACOP project is set to be between Uganda and my home country, Tanzania. One thing that I think would work, in terms of brining accountability even just as a start, is if Uganda joined the Extractive Industries and Transparency Initiative (EITI) where members are held to a much higher level of transparency and accountability. For one, all extractive contracts are to be uploaded to the EITI portal and made accessible to the public. Tanzania joined in 2015 and has since created a Parliamentary Act on EITI.

3 Likes

Rachel that’s a good step in the right direction I would like to know more about the EITI please

1 Like

I do think this can be a good move to push for.

Checked and found out that actually, Uganda joined EITI in 2020. So we need to know where the exact problem is.

2 Likes

Prosper, good morning, joining and active participation are two different things so I think you should make your research on how active Uganda has been as a member of EITI that’s

2 Likes