Use of Radio as a tool for outreach

While perusing through my facebook page I came across posts by one of our partners from Bangladesh @urdu who are currently running a by monthly radio show in one of the popular radio stations called radio Radio Amar, their show is called Shomprti (Harmony) and they cover various issues that the paralegals handle like birth registration. This is similar to the one conducted by the Nubian Rights Forum called Uhaki that stands for the Justice that I used to host with @Purity_Wadegu.

Pee Sabir one of Council of Minorities paralegals at the radio station

Khalid Hussain @urdu during one of their radio shows discussing about birth registration.

Do you have experience in doing radio? What do you discuss during the show? What roles do paralegals play?

7 Likes

Great question! I’d love to learn from members how they use radio as an outreach tool. :thumbsup:

That link is only accessible to facebook users - do you think it would be ok to share a few photos here? Maybe you can ask them.

BBC Media Action have a lot of good resources on this - here’s a short video on how one of their partners have made quality community radio programmes which have changed health outcomes, there are lots more great examples and resources here.

I worked on an interesting education radio project in Nigeria called LEAP. The British Council provided solar radios to schools and community listening clubs - along with having AM/FM radio to listen to new and up to date programming, the units also had a pre loaded content on memory cards in the units which contained training modules for teachers as well as songs and stories to be used in the classroom.

2 Likes

Great advocacy tool apart from raising awareness. In Zimbabwe, Africa, the Media Institute of Southern Africa recently launched a campaign, the Right 2 Know, where community based advocates were requested to be part of the movement by not only raising awareness on topical issues, but by gauging institutions’ responses to requests for information on health, birth registration, service delivery etc

2 Likes

i recently hosted a Radio show that is conducted by The Nubian Rights forum which seems to be a powerful platform to empower the community, thus they ask for questions and its amazing that the callers know some parts of the citizenship rights which is very good for easy discussion and better understanding of what we do

2 Likes

Awaaz.de in India has done some very interesting work creating farmer radio streams to disseminate important information and to also provide a touch point for farmers to speak, question and engage on issues of concern. https://www.awaaz.de/agriculture/

4 Likes

The Mozambique experience in participating in radio programs has been positive. The health advocates have disseminate key messages about the protocols and health rights that citizens have and we receive complaints within the program and requests for clarification. The radio program gives visibility to our work but also engage citizens and make them believe that breaking the silence can prevent and resolve violations and bring testimonials from clients and health committees members sharing success histories is powerfull.

3 Likes

Are you paying for the airtime? How do you generate content for the show? How long is the show?

We dont pay. The show takes 30 minutes we can take clients and healt commities to tell they stories. Its a partner ship we guive legal health education for free and they guive space to talk about ouro work.

1 Like

For us (The Carter Center- Access to Justice)program in Liberia we used the Radio program as a means of reaching out to rural communities where our paralegals are not working. This Radio outreach has been so so helpful as communities members are learning a lot from it. Our institution had signed contract with 10 radio stations that are airing our programs of which 9 are in the rural part of the country. In some of the communities, our programs are air twice a week while in others it’s once a week. Ours is an hour program where we invite individual paralegals to talk about their work and legal topic under discussion in the community for that month. We also invite Justice Actors, community leaders and we as supervisors also appear. We also air jingos, and dramas. During our programs, we also encourage community members to call in and ask our invited studio guest questions on the legal topic under discussion and also about our work.
The radio outreach have served as a means of our program reaching to many and is appreciated by them.

3 Likes