Vocab question: what do we call the entity (business, government, individual, etc) who perpetrates a land grab?

“Grabber” doesn’t really seem right to use in formal publications! Would appreciate other suggestions for how we can refer to the responsible party in a land grab.

3 Likes

@caitlinpierce @Purity_Wadegu @Lore @lauragoodwin That’s the ideal name for land grabbers. In Kenya we call them private developers :wink: or “Arap Singh”

2 Likes

Sure, it is not right to use the “Grabber” consider using “irregularly allocated land”

Well, I think a Land grabber best defines what the entity has done so no need to sugar coat the term. Lets call them by what they do…

Well said @Purity_Wadegu why should we sugar coat it?@Lore

Not sugar coating, but rather looking for what is legally right. It was not about using the vocab, it was about professional use in a publication

In Kenya we use land grabbers and I thought it was politically correct.

Yes @mustafa_mahmoud as you have put it, it is POLITICALLY correct.

@caitlinpierce for me I believe it’s fine to call them land grabbers. I was reading several articles online just as a result of this post. I found many authors referring to it as land grabbing. However, it depends on the audience of the article you are to write, if you suspect that they may be in one way or another part of the act then sugar coating “may” work. I read a call for research title by FAO “Land grab or development opportunity” and it reminded me of my first comment on the titles used in Kenya such as private developers because the politicians were key suspects in land grabbing especially the most powerful ones.

So if you may be in such a situation where you are writing to such audience then you can look for alternative titles but if it is an educational piece then it’s in my opinion important to use the exact wording land grabbers. @Lore @Purity_Wadegu am sorry but I come from the school of thought that believes in saying it as it is. Never call a spade a big spoon. :sunglasses:

@caitlinpierce @mustafa_mahmoud @Lore @Purity_Wadegu this is a most interesting discussion and poses a challenge to all of us on how to convey the act of land grabbing in a politically and legally “acceptable” manner. It would be useful to understand what kind of publication you are planning to use it and what are the instances that are being described as land grab. Is it legalised land acquisition by the government or land has been occupied by force/other extraneous means or both? In India depending on the regulatory framework or administrative context there are many terms used. Will be happy to share some of these terminologies once I hear from you.

3 Likes

Alternatively, we can call the grabber “irregularly allocatee and allocator” respectively :wink:

1 Like

Well Lore, Land grabbing in itself is Illegal so there could be no legally correct term. With that said how do we call the person who irregularly allocates land?

1 Like

@Purity_Wadegu My only concern is how to use that term in a professional publication. For education, community understand and any other forum, the term Land Grabber is the correct one. But don’t dare call our “Arap Singh” you will be prosecuted and you will not be able to substantiate land grabbing.

1 Like

Lol! By the time you accuse our “Arap Singh” you should have enough money for court battle. :wink:

1 Like

I basically refer to them as Land Grabbers. It is an expression that can really touch their hearts, I can’t seem to think of a “meaner” expression to Illegal Stealing of Land.

1 Like

Maybe Land Rights Violator?

Then Violator thereafter…

1 Like

In our content, we often write about ‘investors seeking to acquire land’ or ‘elites seeking land’…it obscures the situation a little, but we also feel that there are times when it is not appropriate to say ‘land grabber’. Although we might talk about ‘those involved in land grabbing’ etc.

2 Likes

Well in these two context you have used we can not easily justify calling them and grabbers due to pubic interest. In many cases the term land grabber is used to refer to those individuals who illegally take land either by abuse of office or though bribes. For example when a private developer grabs school play ground to construct parking for a hotel

More on this example of private developers grabbing school land and even University land. How will you call such persons?@Purity_Wadegu @Lore @marenabrinkhurst

1 Like

private developers,land dealers,land cartels…though these tags don’t sound bad they are associated with the land grabbers,and when mentioned a negative thought goes through the minds of the community.They are also tagged even at the village level given the form in which they operate.For instance,in most cases it is usually a group a “cartel”.In our areas they known as G7.

3 Likes

I have compounded the word i.e. landgrab; the plunderers are landgrabbers - the latter perhaps inelegant, but somehow fitting. Landgrab, land-grab, land grab are part of the commons lexicon and should remain. As the landgrab usually becomes plunder, then the use of plunderers instead of landgrabbers is an option. But definitely landgrab.

2 Likes