Webinar: 2019 is Year of Justice (23 Jan 2019)

normal
resolved
webinars
advocacy
justiceforall
featured-j4a
event_webinar

(Mohammed Aman) #1

On the 23rd of January, Namati through the Justice For All campaign held a webinar on the recently published JFA policy brief; The Case to Fund and Protect Grassroots Justice Defenders.

This was aimed at sharing learnings on how we can advance justice for all in 2019. The webinar was attended by about 80 network and non-network members joining us.

We were joined by @abigailmoy (Namati) and @cocolammers (Namati) as the presenters.

The main focus of the webinar was to discuss how we can leverage a number of global moments tied to the Sustainable Development Goals to bring about policy changes which increase access to justice.

The webinar kicked off with some housekeeping and brief introductions including the Global Legal Empowerment campaign leading into how the Justice For All Campaign was borne

About The Year of Justice

@staceycram set the stage by sharing that In 2019, governments will be reporting on progress on SDG 16, including the commitment made by all governments to ensure equal access to justice for all by 2030. With the attention of decision-makers trained on SDG16, this would present a strategic chance to spotlight the work of our community, highlight the existing gaps round financing and protection for grassroots justice defenders and mobilize governments, civil society and other actors to launch new commitments to finance and implement the justice targets. Then talking about several moments that our community can leverage to build momentum for justice for all including:

• In July, when governments will review SDG 16 for the first time during the High-level Political Forum, providing an opportunity to reinforce the case for accelerated implementation on grassroots justice and legal empowerment at national and global levels. The theme is empowering people and ensuring inclusiveness and equality.

Key global advocacy moments in 2019:

Policy Brief: The Case to Fund and Protect Grassroots Justice Defenders

Through a 15 minute presentation, Abigail Moy then took the participants through recommendations on the policy brief around the two thematic areas that informed the Justice For All Campaign.

• The first being financing. A lack of financing stifles legal empowerment work.

• The second being protection. Changing social and political environments have made legal empowerment work more difficult. This in turns threatens the safety of our champions on the ground.

WEBINAR_%20Year%20of%20Justice_Slide%20Deck-3 Download the policy brief

6 key recommendations from the policy brief include:

1. Increase domestic investment in legal empowerment efforts, particularly those undertaken by civil society.
  2. Increase global aid flows to grassroots legal empowerment groups.
  3. Increase multi-stakeholder coordination around financing for legal empowerment.
  4. End all attacks on grassroots justice defenders
  5. End criminalization and litigious harassment of grassroots justice defenders
  6. Support independent bodies that advance investigations and prosecutions relating to attacks against grassroots justice defenders.

To learn more about these recommendations and 20 additional recommendations on, download the policy brief.

Turning Global Policy into Local Action

This presentation by Abigail laid the groundwork for Coco to share a few ideas about how to transform the policy recommendations into local action, including:

• Defining your asks
  • Using the policy brief in your local context
  • Planning a local action
  • Building momentum
  • Connecting with others
  • Spreading the word on social media with #JusticeForAll

For more information on advocacy at the local level, download the Action Pack.

WEBINAR_%20Year%20of%20Justice_Slide%20Deck-2

Join the Discussion

If you were unable to make this webinar, access the recording here.

With the last presentation, it opened the webinar for an interactive Q and A session between the participants and the presenters.

Do you have additional questions you’d like to add? Please share your questions and comments below. We look forward to continuing the conversation here and use this forum to connect with the presenters and other participants.

Webinar: Six questions to ask when using tech to improve access to justice
(Martha Hague) #3

Thank you so much for sharing this @MohammedAman!

(ZAN KONATE) #5

Merci très sincèrement pour cette information sur le webinaire

Mohammed Aman, est il possible d’avoir ce enregistrement de webinaire en français ?

(Kenneth Kafunga Shachiinda) #7

Thumbs up :+1: for this share

(Grace Nayiga) #9

i appreciate you all that participated in the webinar. great discussion there and more so recommendations. Thank you for sharing with us that missed this great discussion.

(ZAN KONATE) #10

C’est un sujet très important et passionnant à la fois !

Policy Brief Launch: The Case to Invest and Protect Grassroots Justice Defenders
(Jihad Yagoubi) #11

Thank you very much for this webinar, it was very interesting to follow and would like to have more of these in the future to go more in detail about some specific topics. (Even if it’s not surprising, I didn’t know that environmental justice advocates for land rights are the most likely to risk their lives during their work!)

I understand that many questions were revolving around funding opportunities, and mine will too. I’d like to know what other funding bodies you know of that are likely to help funding legal aid projects from grassroots organisations. I recall the Fund for Global Human Rights from your answers, but I’ll be happy to have more suggestions (even for the smallest actions). I’d also be interested in ideas from organisations that are part of the network who found innovative or creative ways to raise funds for legal support.

Many thanks to y’all!

Jihad

(Janemary Ruhundwa) #13

Thank you for sharing this Mohammed!

(Ahmed Ismail) #15

Thank you for this prolific Webinar…I would like to go back a little bit and ask a question from backside.How easy and attainable is it for the Global Legal Empowerment Network to hold/provide an interval training(Capacity Building-for instance after every 3 months) or Online Course for the justice Defenders(Paralegals-Community Right Defenders) on how to know and learn more about the LAW of their country and to interpret the complexity of their CONSTITUTION??

I am rising this question because, the problems are either Logical-based on know-how and someone is required to use the knowledge/skills he/she has to solve them and break the barrier! or Illogical- if they are illogical then someone will imaginatively use his brain to solve them but still the knowledge earlier acquired provides a primary foundation for the imaginative tactics.

Otherwise :zzz: for the nice job.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step