Webinar: Casebox - human rights case management (January 2017)

webinars

(Ashley van Waes) #1

On Thursday, January 26th, Kristin Antin (@Kjantin) introduced us to Casebox, a case management platform for human rights. A total of 21 members joined us from around the globe, with 14 countries represented.

In this webinar, we were given an introduction to Casebox and how it is used by human rights organizations seeking to securely and effectively manage their contacts, projects, and human resources. Namati and the legal empowerment network do not use Casebox now and so we cannot endorse it, but we appreciate the great work that was put into developing Casebox as a freely available open source software project that addresses some important and very real challenges faced by organizations in our community, all in one place and securely accessible via a web browser. We recommend you do your due diligence and check it out!

We’ll keep this topic open for follow-up discussion - let us know here what your questions are about Casebox (and case management generally) and share your experiences for the benefit of all members.

Kristin and her colleagues provided an overview of what the platform can do for you, demonstrations on how it works, and answered questions from our audience. We learned how it is designed to tackle the following challenges organizations often face today, including:

• Accessibility: Legal practitioners no longer need to spend that extra time requesting documents from a colleague - everything is in one place! Your whole team can access the case management system. Users can view and record information from anywhere. Casebox is also translatable, and available in multiple languages.
  • Administration Efficiency: Many human rights legal teams work with a network of practitioners who bill for their time. Casebox is configured to provide an invoicing system that makes it easier for practitioners to report their working time and for the financial desk to process reimbursements.
  • Reporting: Casebox provides a consistent reporting format. Users are able to analyze, understand and report on their activities through case statistics based on region, lawyer, violated rights, case status and date. The data visualization feature is particularly useful for funder reports.
  • Digital Security: By keeping the information in one place, your organization reduces the risk of data loss and decreases the potential of sharing sensitive information through unwanted channels. Other security features include: permission controls, secure login, and secure hosting options.

Don’t miss out! To find out if Casebox would be a good fit for you organization, access the recording here.

During the webinar, participants had the opportunity to ask questions and explore how Casebox might work for their organization.

If you have additional questions about Casebox, reply below or contact Kristin Antin (@kjantin)

You can also visit https://www.casebox.org or email Kristin directly at kristin@huridocs.org. :incoming_envelope:

Casebox is offered by HURIDOCS, an NGO that seeks to support human rights organizations to use information and technology in the simplest and most efficient way. Kristin Antin (@kjantin) is the HURIDOCS community knowledge manager and was our featured guest at this webinar.

Case Management Software
(Tobias Eigen) #2

(Tobias Eigen) #3

I’m really looking forward to this webinar next week. While Namati doesn’t have any specific experience with Casebox, case management is an important and integral part of how we work and it’s always good to see what case management software other human rights organizations are using and why.

This webinar evolved out of a topic started by @Estela about case management software. I hope everyone who contributed to that great topic (see below) is able to come and join the webinar discussion! (I’m looking :eyes: at you @hebamourtaga @nomboniso @mustafa_mahmoud @KhanyisileNtsenge @Sadiq :eyes:)

It would be great also to see @namati_staff experienced with Salesforce at the webinar to jump in with questions about how they compare. Maybe @micahperlin also wants to join in?

Here’s the link to register: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6344863069162222081?source=Discourse+Topic

(Sadiq Makanyaga) #5

OK, thank

(Mia Schmid-Velasco) #7

Thanks @tobiaseigen and @ashleyvanwaes for sharing this! I have signed up :blush:

(Ashley van Waes) #8

Thank you to everyone who has signed up! We are so excited for this webinar and learning more about Casebox. Quick reminder to all that there are only two days left to register. :computer:

Register now!

Thank you to @Sadiq, @KhanyisileNtsenge, and @hebamourtaga for signing up! Quick reminder to @Estela and @nomboniso to register and share their expertise.

(Tobias Eigen) #11

Webinar starting now! It’s not too late to join us. Here’s the link:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6344863069162222081?source=Discourse+Topic

(Fatima Adamu) #12

Recorded webinars where shared on platform I believe, please where can i find link to this webinar recording.

(Ashley van Waes) #13

Hi @fatimaadamu! You can find the recording here: https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6344863069162222081

Note that you will have access to the recording after you register.

(Ashley van Waes) #14

Thank you to Kristin Antin (@kjantin) and her colleague, Bert Verstappen, for providing the detailed answers below to the excellent questions raised at the webinar last week on the case management software, Casebox. If you have additional questions for the Casebox team, feel free to ask them here or you can contact Kristin (@kjantin ) directly.

What’s the difference between a case management system and a contact management system?

A contact management system is meant mainly to manage contacts and often is linked to an organisation’s website and social media. In nonprofits, a contact management system is often used for fundraising, tracking donations and organizing events. Examples of a contact management system include CiviCRM and Salesforce. A case management system like Casebox integrates case management, document management and task management features, it is intended in particular to manage cases within an organisation. This type of system can manage legal, psychosocial support, or other types of cases.

Does Casebox offer an offline data entry option or mobile application? Or is one in the works?

We don’t currently offer a mobile application for Casebox, but you can use Casebox on a mobile web browser. Off-line data entry is not possible.

Can you get aggregated data in an excel file? For example, if I ask a question to each client, can I aggregate the answers using Excel?

Yes, it is possible to export data into an HTML file that can then be moved to Excel.

Is Casebox a web-based application? Can we install it in my office?

Yes, Casebox is web-based. Organisations can install it on their server or Intranet. HURIDOCS can also provide hosting services.

What do you mean when you say it needs to be installed on a server? Can we use your server?

Casebox can be installed on your own server - this does require some in-house tech support. HURIDOCS can also provide hosting services.

Is the customisation service free?

No, there is a customisation fee involved which the Casebox team determines on a case-by-case basis, dependent upon the amount of work involved in defining and creating the customisation.

How effectively can casebox be used for documentation of non-legal work such as follow ups on non-judicial complaints, right to information applications, etc?

The default Casebox comes with a whole series of features for managing cases, documents and tasks. But the contents (content types/formats, fields, terminologies) are created on basis of the needs of individual clients. It can be configured to manage non-judicial complaints, right to information applications etc.

Can you link contacts with cases?

Yes, Casebox allows to link various content types, including linking contacts with cases.

What are the difference between case management system and Digital Asset Management system?

Digital Asset relates to documents, photos, videos - Casebox allows to manage this do some degree but we are developing another tool called Uwazi which focuses on exactly this.

Can you create custom filters to be able to see, for example, all cases handled by all office locations during a certain week? Or all cases of child trafficking handled by only two offices?

Yes in Casebox you can create “virtual folders” according to your needs. For each virtual folder you can determine which filters you want to apply.

Is it possible to conduct training or workshop about Casebox in Nepal?

Yes HURIDOCS is willing to collaborate with human rights groups in Nepal and any other country in the world in a joint project related to Casebox which can include a training workshop.

(Mia Schmid-Velasco) #15

Hi @kjantin – I watched the Casebox webinar several months ago, thank you for answering the follow-up questions here. I am looking into Casebox as a potential option for a pilot project and I have a couple questions not included in the list above:

• What is the storage capacity?
  • What are the exact costs associated with using Casebox? Above you mention a “customization service fee” – is this a fee for the Casebox team to customize the database for you rather than doing it yourself?

Thank you!

(Kristin Antin) #16

Hi Mia! Thanks for sharing these questions.

1. We don’t enforce any kind of limit to the amount of information you store in Casebox, and Casebox should be to scale for your needs. We would need to configure out servers to meet your storage needs, or you would need to configure your servers. We haven’t run into this problem (yet). :slight_smile:
  2. Yes, the “customization service fee” refers to the cost for us to help you configure Casebox. Casebox isn’t a “plug and play” type of software (unfortunately). At least not yet. So you’ll most likely need some help configuring it, even if you host it yourself. If you already have a data model for your database, the configuration should be pretty quick. But if you need us to help create a data model for you, that might take a little more time to understand your information and how you want to use it. So we would simply charge by the hour or by the day depending on how long it takes. We also offer hosting for a fee (if you want that).

We’d be happy to set up a time to talk to you more about how your organisation wants to use Casebox and how much that might cost for customization. Sorry I don’t have a more straight forward answer for you!

Kristin

(Mia Schmid-Velasco) #17

Thanks @kjantin for answering my questions! A couple more questions for you:

• Are there any options in Casebox for automated reports or emails to users? We use that a lot in our current data system for paralegal supervision, and it would be helpful to know if something like that is available in Casebox.
  • Does Casebox offer any options in terms of built-in data quality checks - whether field validation, options to create checks through reports, etc.?

I’ll speak with my colleagues and come back to you about a call, thanks again! cc: @lauragoodwin @mustafa_mahmoud

(Mia Schmid-Velasco) #18

@kjantin I contacted Casebox via your website this morning to request a consult call with myself and my colleagues @lauragoodwin and @mustafa_mahmoud to learn more about the platform. Hopefully, we can find a time to speak soon!

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step