[Webinar] Stateless in a Global Pandemic (Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion)

Stateless last? Recognising and addressing an unseen consequence of the ‘citizens first’ approach to COVID-19

As governments across the world confront the COVID-19 pandemic, facing deeply challenging decisions on protecting public health while averting starvation and warding off economic disaster, it is increasingly evident that in times of crisis, states are turning their gaze inwards: citizens come first. Already marginalised before the crisis, the stateless face even greater, life-threatening, marginalisation now.

As we witness first-hand, the cost of institutional and public blindness towards the stateless (and those at risk of statelessness) as states respond to COVID-19, we are deeply concerned about the lasting impact on an estimated 15 million stateless persons worldwide, and tens of millions whose nationality is under threat. Without urgent attention, protection and intervention, from human rights and humanitarian actors and donors alike, the stateless face irreparable harm and progress in addressing this urgent human rights issue over the last decade may be erased entirely.

Join Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion and partners as they share testimony from around the world, reflect on this underrepresented issue and discuss what must be done to promote a ‘stateless and citizens together’ response to COVID-19.

The webinar will feature interviews with Beth Fernandez, Deputy Executive Director of the SIGRID RAUSING TRUST, and Fernand de Varennes, UN Special Rapporteur on Minority Issues, as well as global perspectives from civil society groups in Jordan, Malaysia, Kenya, North Macedonia, and the Dominican Republic.

Network members @yasahkym from Nubian Rights Forum and @maaliniramalo from DHRRA Malaysia are among the speakers!

The webinar is on May 28th at 12:30 GMT, and you can RSVP here.

3 Likes

Great. I hope to attend. Please send link. Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Davidmugisha! I’m glad to hear you are interested in the webinar. The registration link is at the very end of the above post or you can click here.

After you attend, feel free to share your reflections and any new insights here!

1 Like

Hi Laura I am failing to register for this webinar. Please help

Hi @Davidmugisha! You should still be able to register by clicking here - the form is still open.

Let me know if that doesn’t work!