What are you working on? (22 February, 2018)

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Hello and welcome again!

I am so glad you are here. You will find we are friendly and open in this community. This a safe space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply to introduce yourself to everyone in our community.

While you are here…

Sign the Justice For All campaign pledge!!!

Stand with others from around the globe in calling on world leaders to increase funding and protections for grassroots justice defenders. Invite your friends to sign at our new campaign website https://justiceforall2030.org.

Jump in: :fire: hot topics on the forum

Explore: How-to guides in the resource library

Tips: for new members

And finally … :drum: drum roll :drum: … introducing the latest arrivals to our community!

Tip: select @username to get to know a fellow member.

(Tanya Herring) #5

HI, I am a scholar-practitioner based in Wales, the UK as a researcher on children’s rights - international criminal law - international human rights. My research is geographically focused in the Southeast Asian region with the Rohingya crisis as a ‘critical case’ study in an effort to investigate how the repurposing of the Palermo Protocols can be optimized to address the human trafficking of children in the region. I am scheduled to be in Malaysia in April 2018 to work with the University of Malaya. However, I have already conducted field research on my research comparator group, the Balkan Roma, in Russia, Serbia and Hungary. My ultimate goal is to develop a Practitioner’s Model-of-Practice that addresses human trafficking issues with international laws that have been ratified by member states as an empowerment tool both online and in paperback. Specifically, the online version will be researched over a two-year period as a longitudinal study.

(Tobias Eigen) #6

Hi Tanya,

Thanks so much for the reply. It’s great to meet you and to learn about your research project. How did you find out about us? It’s interesting that you refer to yourself as a scholar-practitioner and even identify with it so much that you used it as your username! Can you tell me some more about what that means to you?

I think you’ll like being part of this community as you carry out your research, and I hope you visit the forum often to update us and to get input from other members. As you move along, it would be a big help if you could also share publications and info you come across that you find to be valuable. We are always on the lookout for useful practitioner material to include in our resource library.

(Tanya Herring) #7

Thanks for your kind and prompt response/hello. Yes, I do identify myself as a scholar-practitioner based on my formal training and what I do. Also, I went through quite a few other tags before I got to one that was accepted as all the others were already used, LOL.

Sure, I would be very happy to forward some of the articles that I encounter beneficial for the group. I work closely with the stateless group in the Netherlands. I will be part of the expert-panel team on statelessness at the July 2018 Brisbane, Australia group. Recently, I returned from Russia, Serbia, and Hungary on field-research creating awareness of legal empowerment. Here is a website of some of my recent work:

By the way, I stumbled upon the website last year as I was researching legal empowerment from a UN conceptual perspective. I have since adapted it as an integral element of my research whereby I have planned a three-year project with legal empowerment as the nucleus.

I reviewed the website and I saw the training exchange opportunities. After my initial trip to Malaysia, I would be excited to have the opportunity to work on an onsite training event with practitioners, advocates, academics, etc. for the area. Possibly, I could plan to attend one and then make an effort to duplicate it in the Malaysia area with my partner school, University of Malaya.

I am truly looking forward to participating in the network’s team.

(Tobias Eigen) #8

Thanks, Tanya! There’s alot of great stuff here that you’re doing. Wow! :eyes: I’m looking forward to continuing the conversation and seeing what we might do together. In the meantime, feel free to start new topics to introduce your project and articles you think other members will be interested in, and you can also upload your publications directly at https://namati.org/upload.

(Nisha Chainani) #9

Hello. I made a feature film. Since 8 years it’s stuck in court. So currently I’m studying law. I’m in my finally semester.

(Tobias Eigen) #10

Hi Nisha,

Thank you for your reply. We are always glad to welcome law students to the network. There are many practitioners in our community around the world facing all sorts of challenges. You can learn from them while helping them with your knowledge and research.

You might also want to get involved in the global campaign now kicking off to help make access to justice a reality for more people in the world.

(Merio Likudu) #11

Great Michael

I am currently A/Director for Tourism Investment from Juba, South Sudan.

(Tobias Eigen) #12

Hello and thank you for your reply. It’s great to hear from you again and to learn about the tourism investment work you are doing in South Sudan. That must be very interesting, and we’d love to learn more about projects you are working on to promote and support tourism in your country.

As soon as you get a chance, please try to log in at https://community.namati.org and update your profile with your new job and priorities. Our community is friendly and happy to meet and spend time with you.

(Merio Likudu) #13

Great Michael

I am looking forwards for your experiences and to SOUTH SUDAN tourism industry.

Our country is on economic critical situation as per now we have four month no salary.

In for your immediate help of 150USD -200USD for buying my office stationaries?

(Tobias Eigen) #14

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately we are not able to provide financial support along these lines. But you are welcome to be a part of our community. Funding opportunities come up quite regularly.

I am sorry to hear about your economic plight! I hope you are able to get through this situation soon.

(Sergei Zharkov) #15

Welcome, Namati staff. I’m working with Nigerians. As a maximum goal want to create own independent Igbo’s State, Biafra. I want to show people the possibilities of their rights. And, just like, I want to show the possibility of representation in Israel. This is important to me.

(Tobias Eigen) #16

Hi Sergei! Thanks for writing to introduce yourself. It’s great to meet you and a pleasure to have you in our community. There are some great things happening here dealing with Nigeria and Israel/Palestine. Try the :fa_search: next time you log in to learn more and to join in. I’d suggest you introduce yourself in some more detail and see how you can contribute to discussions taking place.

(Divyanshi Pathak) #17

Thank you and I will look forward for the opportunities.

(Tobias Eigen) #18

Hi @Divya! Thanks for the reply. It’s great to have you in our community, and I hope you visit often to read and contribute to discussions. Fridays are a good day when many people are here on the forum.

As you probably know, Namati has a strong Environmental Justice program in India which has strong links to health and gender concerns. In case you missed it, we hosted a webinar with our @namati_ej team which is well worth a look:

(Laila Le Guen) #19

Hello Tobias and thank you for the invitation to join as well as the welcome message.

I am an educator living in Chin State, Myanmar. I teach young people who are looking to make a difference in their community and I have used some of Namati’s resources in my classes before. I hope for more collaborations through this network.

The project I am currently most engaged in is designing a media literacy curriculum for young people in Myanmar. It’s something I have pioneered in my institution and I’m thinking about how to make it accessible to more students across the country.

Looking forward to an amazing year with you! Laila.

(Tobias Eigen) #20

Hi Laila! It’s a pleasure to meet you. Thanks for the reply! It’s interesting to learn about your media literacy work in Myanmar. As you no doubt are already aware, Namati has a very active program in Myanmar though because of the language barrier (our forum does not yet support Burmese language) we do not have many discussions here on our forum with and about legal empowerment practitioners in Myanmar. Perhaps this is something you’d be interested in helping us with. Your ideas are most welcome!

We do have a facebook group for Namati Myanmar, in Burmese, which you may want to take a look at and join if you have not done so already.

cc: @namati_myanmar

(Mario Guilombo) #21

My name is Mario Guilombo and I am the Founder and & Human Rights Program Director at the Canadian Human Rights International Organization. I wanted to give you a brief background on our organization and we look forward to continue working with you in the future and help more people in need with Global Legal Empowerment Network support and your guidance.

Founded in 2003, the Canadian Human Rights International Organization (CHRIO) is a non-profit organization located in the heart of the vibrant Jane and Finch community. We work in the field of human right issues and support hundreds of victims of armed conflict, refugees, displaced persons, and their relatives that were unable to leave their countries of origin. We function without a steady source of funding and rely on the generosity of donations and a very passionate and dedicated team of professional volunteers. We have continued to grow and now have close to 600 international missions.

The mission of CHRIO is to defend and fight for fundamental rights such as life, dignity, liberty, security and gender equality. Our organization helps fight against all forms of discrimination such as race, creed, gender, sexual orientation, physical and mental disabilities in accordance to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights set forth by the United Nations. CHRIO recognizes and upholds the human right laws enacted by the municipal, provincial and federal levels of government under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and subsequent United Nations conventions and declarations in Canada and abroad by:

• Educating the public through the provision of courses, workshops, and seminars on matters relating to human rights.
  • Researching issues relating to human rights and the people we serve.
  • Assisting individuals in bringing their complaints before the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights and International Criminal Court and others International Tribunals and Human Rights Commissions.
  • Relieving poverty through the provision of basic amenities to refugees, immigrants and others in need.
  • To provide counselling, education, and other support services to immigrants and refugees, including language instruction, employment training, job search programs, translation services, and information/assistance on Canadian culture and life.

CHRIO seeks to materialize the truth, justice and complete reparation for serious violations of human rights, through legal and political actions at the international, national and local level in countries where human rights have been systematically violated. We work for the complete affirmation of the rights of people through the formation, organization, denouncing, and realization of legal and political actions at the local, national and international level in coordination with other organizations defending human rights.

Programs we offer and Populations we serve

We have helped and assisted over 16,000 families around the world free of charge. The clients we assist are from our local communities, citizens from across Canada and people from around the world who have little or no access to human rights resources or the funds to access these resources. We are the helping hand to those people that are dealing with human rights violations within and outside of Canada. Some of the programs we have organized and implemented are:

• Human Rights Defence Program
  • Youth Human Rights Program
  • Mental Health Program with free counselling sessions for clients
  • Pardon & Waiver Program
  • Seniors Program
  • Student Placement Programs for University & College Students

Recent projects

Aside from the clients that we assist on a daily basis, we here at CHRIO lead long-term research projects that we develop into policy-prescriptions for world leaders to adopt in the field of human rights.

Our Regularization Proposal was recently submitted to all members of the Federal Parliament of Canada as well as the Ontario Provincial Parliament. In it, we advocated on behalf of the estimated 500,000 people in Canada who live without status. Their plight is related to the fact that they do not have access to the same social, medical, and labour rights as people having status, be they either Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or others. Such a situation contravenes the commitments to non-discrimination that Canada has bounded itself by and so we pushed for the granting of status to individuals who have resided in Canada for five years, have demonstrated substantial community involvement, know either one of the official languages (French or English), and have no Criminal Record. CHRIO had the honour to present the project to the Honourable John McCallum, Federal Minister of Immigration, who demonstrated a favourable view of the facts and recommendations we presented in this regard.

As well, we have just finished writing a proposal entitled Addressing the Plight of Skilled Immigrants in which we identified the severe barriers that skilled immigrants face in Canada in finding employment suited to their skills. We argued that putting skilled immigrants in a situation where they are explicitly discriminated against by the regulations set up in the form of credential recognition and the implicit racist mentalities employers have of skilled immigrants is unacceptable in Canadian society. Among the solutions we provided, one was the financial support of the federal government for skilled immigrants when they first arrive to Canada so that they do not take on menial, low-skilled word that they eventually will become dependent on for survival. Indeed, Canada is not a country where immigrants should come to survive, but the thrive.

We hope that from the above mentioned examples of our projects, we have made our commitment to human rights clear. Many individuals can also attest to the positive impact that CHRIO has had in attaining their human rights and their subsequent stable and dignified lives.

I look forward to having you join the Canadian Human Rights International Organization and I look forward to hearing from you. They participated actively in the elaboration of projects submitted at all levels of government.

Thank you for taking the time to learn more about our organization and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with us.

(Tobias Eigen) #22

Hello Mario! Thanks for your reply and for providing such a detailed introduction to yourself and to CHRIO. It’s great to have you in our community. Your programs as you describe them are very exciting and valuable - I was especially moved by this one which seems such an obviously good idea:

I will share your information with my Namati colleagues who will get in touch if they see opportunities for collaboration. Do please note that Namati is not a funding organization and we do not provide grants.

The Global Legal Empowerment Network has members in Canada, as well as members working throughout the world on similar issues as CHRIO. They will be glad to learn about your work and explore ways to work with you.

I hope you decide to spend time regularly here on the forum to connect with fellow members and to share opportunities. We’re a friendly bunch and share a common passion for justice and human rights. :sunflower:

(Mohamed Dek) #23

I’m Mohamed Dek, Hanad is my well-known nickname ,30 years old man, born in Mugadisho 1988, just 2 year before somali civil war, my family has suffered SGBV, inhuman actions and killing from armed clan forces, I lost my oldest beloved sister that act in 1992, we fled to Ethiopia, started my education from Primary school to the University in Jigjiga and addis ababa respectively, Graduated school of law and politics, during my I was working to support somali Refugee women as Amharic translation to defend their right in between police and refugees and also in between Bole woreda Court and somali Community, then court offered me as Legal intern in 2010 till my Graduation in 2012. I came back to Somalia to work and support my displaced, returnee, vulnerable ones and those in need in legal and humanitarian worker, started to work with Norwegian Refugee Council in 2013 as protection project assistant, then after 6 months , Information, counselling and legal assistance (ICLA) Project assistant in 2014 and Project officer in 2015-2017.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step