What are you working on? (22 March, 2018)

welcome

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Hello and welcome again!

I am so glad you have decided to join the Global Legal Empowerment Network. You will find we are friendly and open in this community. This a safe space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply to introduce yourself to everyone.

While you are here…

Jump in: :fire: hot topics on the forum

Explore: How-to guides for practitioners

Tips: for new members

Say hello: to the latest arrivals to our community!

The following wonderful people joined the network in the last two weeks. Select their username to read what they have to say about themselves and their interests, and then you can add a reply below.

What are you working on? (8 March, 2018)
(Ava Richardson) #2

Hi Tobias, Thanks so much for reaching out to me. I am interested in advancing laws and policies that support a zero-waste society. Essentially, I want to work with communities tackling environmental racism - especially those in close proximity to waste dumping sites - to create waste management career opportunities for the most historically exploited communities.

I am looking forward to connecting with others in the Global Legal Empowerment Network. Best! Ava

(Ayman Hosny) #3

Hello MR. Tobias Eigen

Glad to receive your message. It’s the honor that I am here with NAMATI people, and I’m looking forward to be a part of the team work, so it’s happiness to I’m being here. Thank you very much. Ayman

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Wonderful. You are very welcome! You will find we are a friendly and supportive community.

I suggest you spend some time reading to just explore discussions and the forum. You will start getting email notifications with summaries of discussion topics, which you are welcome to then reply to when you can improve or want to lend support to them.

Feel free to ask me any questions or raise any concerns you may have. Thank you and welcome again!

(John Mary Vianney Kimuraheebwe) #5

hello Tobias, thank you very much for the addition to the network. lt is exciting for me. i hope to learn a lot from colleagues else where. also, keep me posted on any learning opportunities that are available so that i can expand my knowledge. regards Kimurah

(Tochukwu Georgecollins) #6

Thank you Tobias Eigen for your assistance so far. However, I will appreciate if you can be more detailed on Personal Network Profile. Also I will need your guidance on how to participate in network activities and community discussion. Furthermore, I will also like to know about application for learning opportunities. Thanks.

(Tobias Eigen) #7

Thank you for your reply. I’m happy to get to know you. UNEC LAW CLINIC in Enugu, Nigeria looks very interesting. I visited Enugu a few times myself a few years ago (in 1999!) as part of an IT capacity building project for human rights organizations I was involved in. We were helping Society For The Welfare of Women Prisoners (SWEWP) at the time - are they still active do you know?

To answer your questions:

Network profile

As a member of the Global Legal Empowerment Network, you get a profile in the member directory which other members can use to learn more about you and get in touch. Here’s the link so you can see what it looks like now with the info you provided at signup: Tochukwu Georgecollins

Since you added your organization as well, you also have a profile page for your organization, which lists you as the official contact: UNEC LAW CLINIC

You can edit these profiles anytime you like to add more information or to update it.

Participating in network activities and community discussion

The best thing to do is to bookmark our forum https://community.namati.org in your web browser, and to make time regularly to read discussions. You will find that opportunities are posted regularly as well as discussions about topics relevant to legal empowerment work. Once a week is a good rhythm to get into, ideally on Fridays when many other members log in.

application for learning opportunities

From time to time, you will also see announcements in the forum about learning exchanges and other learning opportunities. Look for instructions on how to apply!

You can also apply for core membership for your organization right now. The application form lets you provide us with much more information about your organization so we will know to reach out to you when there are specific opportunities relevant to you. If approved, you will get a :star: next to your name in the directory and in discussions, and streamlined access to learning opportunities. Here’s the link to more details about core membership and the application form: https://namati.org/network/core

(Steve Lockett) #8

Thanks for the welcome Tobias. I filled in most of the information but need to be on my laptop rather than my phone to finish. I am hoping to build an accreditation scheme for some of our local activists to work on legal advocacy. Hope I can get lots of inspiration from Namati? I’ll have a good look around over the next week…

(Tobias Eigen) #9

Great! Thank you for the reply. I look forward to learning more about your accreditation scheme - do come back soon to fill us in on the details and to spend some time reading in the forum and exploring the resource library. It’s great to have you in the network!

If you have not yet seen them, I suggest you take some time to watch the TED talks by @mustafa_mahmoud and @vivekmaru for inspiration. :sunflower:

(Ashley van Waes) #10

Hello @SungChin, so glad you are here!

(Tobias Eigen) #11

Hello Sung Chin! Welcome to Namati! :slight_smile:

FYI, you had two accounts so I deleted your other one.

(Sung Chin Par) #12

Dear Tobias,

Thank you so much!

That’s great!

Best,

Sung Chin

(Tobias Eigen) #13

You are very welcome! Do try to log in as often as you can to https://community.namati.org - it can be a regular habit for you to check for new discussions. Let me or @ashleyvanwaes know if you have any questions or feedback. :seedling:

(Sung Chin Par) #14

Sure! Thank you Tobias.

(Raul Mabasso) #15

Bom dia Tobias

Muito obrigado pelo vosso retorno. A minha área de actuação: saúde, Educação de crianças, adolescentes e jovens nas comunidades, comportamento.

Estou interessado na matéria de igualdade de género, sexualidade, violência baseada no gênero, etc.

(Tobias Eigen) #16

Hello Raul! Thank you for your reply. Great to see you here. There are many members here who are also interested in gender-related topics - you can use the :fa_search: search to look for specific topics, and explore Topics tagged gender.

You will also be interested in reading how Namati is Empowering Women through its programs, including in your country Mozambique. We also have a Realizing the Right to Health program in Mozambique.

And finally, if you prefer to write in Portuguese note that you are free to do so anywhere in the forum, and other members (like me) can use the automatic translation feature to translate your post into their preferred language. You can also translate into portuguese the same way - look for the globe button on the post menu while reading. We also have a special category to bring together our burgeoning community of portuguese speakers. Feel free to introduce yourself there! Empoderamento Legal (em português) - Global Legal Empowerment Network Community Discussions

(Tobias Eigen) #17

(Marlon Manuel) #18

Welcome to our community, Ava! You may want to link up with Namati’s Environmental Justice team. Check this recent post of @debayangupta on Using law to combat water pollution.

(Reyno De Beer) #19

Good day,

Thanks for the opportunity to participate in legal reformation networking.

We are busy with great projects in South Africa to transform our legal system into one that is more accessible to all our people.

Firstly, we have just lodged a complaint to the African Commission for Human and Peoples’ Rights against our government for not doing anything about our fraudulent Court processes crisis. We estimate that 70% of all civil Court Orders are fraudulent in our country. That is a massive human rights crisis and we have even been blocked by our own Constitutional Court. Hence our referral to this Commission. Also read http://www.libertyfighters.co.za/chaotic-sa-court-administration-reported-to-african-commission/

Secondly, we are fighting against illegal evictions and immovable property hijackings which cost our people at least US$2 billion annually in damages. It is simply unbearable how a country like ours thought to be very precise on human rights can allow this to continue without any worry.

Thirdly, we have issued our 95 Theses for Reformation of our Judiciary on 31 October 2017 in celebration of the 500th Anniversary of the start of the Reformation by Martin Luther. Also read http://www.libertyfighters.co.za/reformation/

Yes, we need to spread the word internationally and we do need all the help we can get and in turn we are also willing to assist anyone of you who needs assistance as well.

Godspeed.

Kind Regards,

Reyno De Beer

National Representative

Liberty Fighters Network

Cell. 0781745878

www.libertyfighters.co.za

(Eunice Ndiritu) #20

I am Eunice Ndiritu acting chief executive officer Nyeri hospice ,i found this forum when filling the Namati award form and i became interested in that one of legal issues .I decided to join since i would like to gain more insight on legal issues and also to share on what we are doing on legal services we are providing to palliative care patients and their relatives. Right now i can share that we are mentoring other hospices on legal issues ,we sensitize them on legal services and encourage them to incorporate these services to their services in order to keep palliative care patients informed .This will help to keep their things in order minimizing family conflicts when they pass on. KEHPCA has supported us so much by impacting us with the knowledge of legal matters ,they have given our team training’s ,seminars and updates which have enabled us handle that sensitive field with confidence.It has also introduced Nyeri Hospice to Open Society Foundation who are funding our legal issues services.We are grateful because we are witnessing clients passing on comfortably having been able to write a will and also hand over their property appropriately.

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step