What are you working on? (8 March, 2018)

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Hello and welcome again!

I am so glad you have decided to join the Global Legal Empowerment Network. You will find we are friendly and open in this community. This a safe space where you can make new friends from around the world and keep in touch for solidarity, learning, sharing and collaboration.

Please introduce yourself! How did you find us and what prompted you to join? What are you working on right now that you want to share or that you need help with? Just add a reply to introduce yourself to everyone.

While you are here…

Jump in: :fire: hot topics on the forum

Explore: How-to guides for practitioners

Tips: for new members

Say hello: to the latest arrivals to our community!

The following wonderful people joined the network in the last two weeks. Select their username to read what they have to say about themselves and their interests, and then add a reply below to introduce yourself!

(Tshepo Tsipa) #2

Hi I am currently working on anti coal campaigns, i do manage the endcoal_list which comprises of of over 500 activists, professionals around the world. We also have two website one called end coal and the other corruption In Coal. We have an alliance in south africa called life after coal campaign which consist of different countries. On the 9 of april this year in Durban will be having a big Africa Strategy Coal meeting. we do have a community exchange program which in 2015 we hosted activists from Save Lamu in Kenya.

(Shady Safar) #3

Good morning… I am a community facilitator in issues of legal empowerment and access to education with ARDD and happy to be with you in this network

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Hello Shady! Thank you for your reply. It’s a pleasure to have you in our community. I know my colleague on the Namati Citizenship team @mustafa_mahmoud has been working actively to invite members in Jordan to join so I’m sure he’ll be happy to see you are here! :slight_smile: Also, your colleague @BasharAlHariri recently joined as you no doubt know.

The best way to participate in forum discussions is via the website at https://community.namati.org - I suggest you take some time as soon as possible to log in and simply read discussions so you can get to know the community. You’ll find we’re a friendly and supportive group, and that we share valuable legal empowerment and access to justice ideas and opportunities with one another.

Since you prefer Arabic, the interface will appear in Arabic and you can use the translate button to automatically translate posts into Arabic - the button looks like a globe on the post menu. Let me know if you have any trouble finding it.

You can of course also reply in Arabic and others can use the translate button to translate your posts into their language. Feel free to try it here! :sunny:

Sometime soon, if enough people want to engage in Arabic, I would like to start a category devoted to topics written in Arabic. To start that I just need a few people who can speak both Arabic and English to volunteer to monitor the category to make sure topics flow nicely while also remaining within the community guidelines.

(Tyrone McRae) #5

Peace and blessings. Nice to meet you. I’m trying to get in where I fit in. If you could help me with that I would appreciate it.

(Massocki Ma Massocki) #6

Hello dear Tobias,

i am very happy to be part of this network, here i feel at home.

Please can you help me promote my latest book on refugees, it is entitled: ‘’ THE REFUGEE MANIFESTO’’, here bellow is the book link:

Best regards

(Tobias Eigen) #7

Hello Massocki! Thank you so much for the reply and for sharing your book which looks to be very interesting. Please go ahead and add it to the resource library, which you can do at the following link: https://namati.org/upload.

It’s great to have you in our community and we look forward to getting to know you better through your participation in community forums. Your personal migration story must be an interesting one - how many Cameroonians can there be in the Philippines?

FYI @marlonmanuel is a member of the network team and is based in the Philippines, where he was the coordinator of the Alternative Law Groups.

(Marlon Manuel) #8

Hi Massocki! Welcome to our community. Delighted to know that you are here in the Philippines. I look forward to meeting you in the future.

(Massocki Ma Massocki) #9

Dear Tobias,

Thank you very much for the library resources and for linking me up with Mr. Marlon Manuel who i am looking forward to meet with as soon as possible.

How many Cameroonians are in the Philippines?

The Cameroonian government is a terrorist government and it has been in power since 1982. In fact since the nominal independence of Cameroon in 1960, Cameroon has only had two presidents who are terrorists by whatever definition of terrorism and consequently who have never been elected by the people. Let me save your saliva, because surely you will ask me; are there not elections in Cameroon? The so called elections in Cameroon are cacophonies and parodies, it is a circus.

This year in Cameroon will be held another presidential cacophony, and I am trying to get people not to vote. The act of voting legitimizes the terrorist regime of Paul Biya. We only vote when we believe that elections are transparent and fair and that our vote will count. Therefore, by voting, the facto we admit that, elections are transparent and fair in Cameroon and that the terrorist regime of Paul Biya is democratic. For the terrorist regime, elections are just propaganda, a way to legitimize terrorism. So, to answer your question, there are a lot of Cameroonian refugees in the Philippines. And perhaps you are aware that, there is a civil war in Cameroon.

What I am working on now?

I am both a field and intellectual activist. I stand against all kinds of injustice. I do not consider myself as a human rights activist but as a ‘’ Living being rights activist’’. I stand for everything thing that live, we all have the right to live including animals, LGBT, Trees, plants, needless to say that I am vegan. My life is activism; even eating for me is activism. Even meditating is activism. As said Ghandi, ‘’ We have to be the change we want to see’’. So, my activism is without border, I am anywhere suffering is experience.

Having said that, however, right now, I am trying to put a place a second NGO that I call RC (Refugees Community) and whose vision is to empower refugees so that, they can address their own issues and to directly participate in decision’s making and policy recommendations relating to their own issues. My latest book ‘’ The Refugee Manifesto’’ is just the founding document of RC.

To have an idea on what I write, here is my blog: www.massocki.wordpress.com

Best Regards.

(Massocki Ma Massocki) #10

Hello dear Marlon,

it is a pleasure to know you.

I live in Pedro Gills, Manila.

i would love to meet with you.

Just let me know, whenever you are available.

Best Regards.

(Tobias Eigen) #11

Hi Tshepo! Great to have you in our community. I’d love to learn more about your endcoal_list and life after coal campaign - can you share links and some more details? You will be happy to connect with some Save Lamu friends here like @Hadija @Dida @sasha. :seedling:

Hi Tyrone! Happy to see some people finding and joining this network from the United States. How did you find us? :sunny:

(Tyrone McRae) #12

I performed a general search for e discovery and collaboration tools and ended up here. Lol.

(Tobias Eigen) #13

Awesome. What are e discovery tools? As community manager here I am not so knowledgeable about paralegal terminology and always eager to learn. :seedling:

Incidentally, speaking of terminology. I know the word paralegal has a different meaning in USA than in other places like South Africa. This is why namati tends to prefer to use grassroots legal advocate or “barefoot lawyer” to describe the people and methods we seek to promote.

(Tyrone McRae) #14

E discovery is the identification, preservation, collection, processing, review, analysis and presentation of electronically stored information. There is a special way data needs to be handle in electronic form as opposed to paper according to what is known as the EDRM cycle. Electronically stored information is subject to vulnerability so it must be preserved in case litigation is contemplated or there are severe penalties.

(Tyrone McRae) #15

It’s a very heavy topic but picture this: You have a class against a party who uses electronic data and you need the discovery for your client. You also must provide discovery to opposing counsel. You have to meet in order to determine how to identify, preserve and collect the data in a way where it is not compromised or purged out of the system. You need to interview custodians of the data within your organization to determine how the data was created, as far as search term protocols. You have to process the data to remove system data, duplicates, et. cet. to decrease costs because you are charged per gig. This data must preserve metadata but it may also contain confidential or privelige data which you may have to redact or withold. There are tools for processing large amounts of data and tagging them as responsive or nonresponsive to the litigation. These tools can automatically process data and attorney review saving huge amounts of litigation expense and avoiding sanction. That’s just a glimpse… but imagine being given 1 gig of data from the opposing counsel which may be approximately 500,000 paper documents. With e discovery tools you can perform searches with filters to extract the drag from the gold in order to find the smoking gun and parties must agree on search terms…

(Toindepi Mahaso) #16

My name is Toindepi mahaso. I am a Zimbabwean lawyer currently working with Citizens Legal Aid Society and Advisory Trust in Harare. We are very excited to be part of this Empowerment network and wish to continue working with the organisation. Kindly let us have all the essential programmes and activities we can get so we contribute to this noble cause

(Minhas yousafzai) #17

Hello every body how are you?

(Laura Goodwin) #18

It’s great to see you here @shady! I was just reading this inspiring profile of your work on the ARDD blog:

Shady said:

Since I arrived to Jordan, I’ve been interested in helping others. I have collaborated with many organizations to provide relief to those in need and enhance their access to basic services. Syrians, densely located in areas like Marka or Ras Al Ain, are vulnerable. We need to work towards integration and education to promote social cohesion and their inclusion,

Hope to see you again in Jordan!

(Shady Safar) #19

oh… thank you for this beauteful words and i hope to see you again too

(Tobias Eigen) #21

A post was merged into an existing topic: What are you working on? (22 March, 2018)

How likely are you to recommend the Global Legal Empowerment Network?

Thank you. What can we do better?

Thank you. What can be improved?

Fabulous! What do you like most?

Thanks for giving feedback! If you’re reporting a problem, please tell us what you were doing when the problem occurred, what you expected to happen and what actually happened.

skip this step