Which factors are most important in the case of women rights

In Tanzania many women they don’t think about the community they are living in that means women living in village they don’t have rights to health care and communication in their family. So we should educate women to take part of social networks and able to participate in society if we do this we can reduce poverty of the community your are living in.

4 Likes

Yes Janet. This is the very gap that legal empowerment seeks to bridge; the women must be mobilized and empowered around their rights, for them to appreciate that they have rights, independent of any political or charitable action. And by empowering women we’ll be empowering the communities in which they live, and the society by extension.

5 Likes

I agree with James that legal empowerment is an important tool for empowering women. Women should be given platforms where they can articulate issues which affect them .As Legal Resources Foundation Zimbabwe we have learnt that legal empowerment can positively change the lives of women by enabling them to challenge practices and laws which discriminate against them. Legal empowerment should be supported by provision of legal assistance so that women whose rights have been infringed can seek remedies in court or other watch dog institutions such as human rights commissions.

3 Likes

I case of establishing women rights empowerment either it is legal or economical or any others is very crucial indeed. Throughout my work on women legal empowerment i experienced that only legal empowerment is not enough to ensure women rights either they are not enough economically empowered. Blending of these two contributes and encouraged women to move forward for legal remedy.

2 Likes

hello … the best way to adhere to human rights where we can have equality before the law is to empower women through two important major things which are Economical point of view and through legal empowerment . as a community training lawyer i have realized that women need to be empowered not only through legal empowerment but also through giving them opportunity to access and to be involved in economical matters to improve there life standards. justice is expensive and it need someone to invest in it , example a woman taking her husband to court is very acceptable in the point of law especial on matters which violet her rights , but what about her life? we are living in a community where by people could do anything to defend their properties which means the welfare of a women is in jeopardy and that is the reason to which we should empower women by improving their living standards, by advocating against laws which violet women rights to participate in economical matters example women access to land , equal employment opportunity and to eliminate customary laws which are threatening women economic and social enjoyments

3 Likes

I agree with you totally. When a woman is not economically empowered she does not seem to understand that she has rights because she survives on begging and beggars are not choosers,

2 Likes

I agree , over time working with women, we have come to realize the need for economic empowerment. Most times, women shy away from accessing Justice because of fear of financial support. Take a case of an abusive man. A woman would rather endure the abuse than let go of the relationship because she does not earn her own income. That means when she leaves, where would food come from for her and the kids? Sustainable food that i.e In responding to this, we run a legal clinic that uses tripartite approach.

1. Paralegal services that empowers through legal aid services and legal education
  2. Economic Empowerment: Trains on vocational skills and help women form cooperative groups and does linkages to micro credit
  3. Basic Literacy: Helps women learn basic numeracy and literacy to sustain their businesses and to help them improve knowledge of laws in Basic Hausa Language. We have also learned that when there is a group, they give strong support to one another. We as well link with services such as trauma counselling and shelter.All these will give a comprehensive approach
5 Likes

thank you @fatimaadamu

1 Like

Its true that female have no access to health facilities nor even they are entitled of education or from family assets and it is a bitter truth too that female have no access to any justice providing forum.

But for cure the entire society and specially men should be educate that half of the population is consist of female if we educate and skilled women so that they became an active and useful person for state and became earning hand for their family.

2 Likes

A new school needs to be defined for women. I interacted with an empowered woman, who may not have gone through oppressions of societal norms, she tends to take women empowerment as an act of charity that belittles women even more. The message been passed to women is that they are weak and need help so that they can be competitive in a “man’s world”. Some people would even be heard to say that women have been so empowered that the boy child is now at an oppressed position but the response would be men are strong they will survive. Women are not been empowered from a position of weakness but from a position of oppression. Therefore the girl needs to be taught that she is entitled to rights as a human being, not that there are separate rights women are afforded. Men and women are equal but not same, this is the message. That all opportunities and rights afforded to men are also for women. Fighting this oppression, women need to see themselves as strong beings and not weak beings been helped. We are fighting women oppressions not women weaknesses. This way, women can contribute to their empowerment and not just be beneficiaries of kind acts. It is not a kindness to empower women, it is correcting a societal wrong that has lasted far to long.

1 Like

Fatima, has just categorize the whole approach to the issue of women rights. What she said and outline are the 3 basic areas in my mind. Thanks Fatima because even communities we work in in Liberia, we are faced with challenge of achieving this idea of Women Rights and without the factors outline by Fatima i think we will just be day dreaming. We as service providers can use these 3 areas in our own local context and move forward.

2 Likes

Bindu, good to know this would fit into the local context of Liberia. Hoping to get an update and feedback on lessons from implementing this.