Why very few women owns land in Nigeria?

I have not thought of social and economic impact of having very few women ownership to land in Nigeria like yesterday and today.

I went to do land documentation for a client at Kaduna Geographic Information Service (KADGIS) and realize that in, out of every 80 - 100 men that came to register their land or make inquiries around land, is to one woman. And that got me thinking wild. Got me thinking of gender equality, far and wide inequality including human rights, hunger and poverty. I feel sad for myself and women.

This sadness has become a big burden on how to voice this inequality to policy makers from local to national in Nigeria. What to do to raise awareness about it so Nigerian women can move forward productively.

In general not upto 10% of women owns land in Nigeria. But upto 80% involved in agriculture and land cultivation are women, you see? You see the imbalance?

To balance out world, women in Nigeria must be given equal space to land ownership. We must overcome those customary laws which is not above the Constitution of Nigeria.

The land use act of 1978 established a state owned land system in Nigeria. that allowed similar opportunities for men and women to acquire or inherit land. But you know, how we hold on to customary laws to deny women rights to land inheritance.

But the Constitution is very clear in section 43 and I quote “Subject to the provision of this Constitution, every citizen of Nigeria shall have the right to acquire and own immovable property anywhere in Nigeria”.

Now to the point, I shall be looking at ways I can make section 34 of Nigeria 1999 Constitution translated into concrete realities for women and the world at large.

Be part.

2 Likes